Saturday, January 9, 2010

Here and Now

I love how God works in my life! just a few hours ago I was at my home church (on a Saturday) by myself, putting the finishing touch on a display on the stage next to where I lead every Sunday. Sitting and sipping my water and simply taking a good look at the stage flow. You see I am one of those people that believe, that a person when in church to worship, should be fully engaged , what I mean is that nothing should be in the way. I then as I try often took advantage of the quietness of the sanctuary, to play and sing a few lyrics from songs  scheduled for this Sunday. But for some reason something was different in the way I was playing the songs, they were speaking to me more than giving me this feeling  I normally get. On my way home I stopped at my business to pick up something for my wife and went home. 
I want to share something I read on Paul Baloche's blog a while back.  Read on I will conclude at the end.
As worship leaders, we might find ourselves praying week after week in front of the congregation for God to take us to a place we've never been, when perhaps God is trying to speak to us right where we are. The latter creates an atmosphere of people worshiping in the moment. The former encourages a feeling of unfulfilled urgency rather than immediate connection.
Instead of fiery passion, let me suggest we emphasize a mature expression of love. It is love that is proclaimed to be above all other gifts, above all hope and faith (1 Corinthians 13:13). It is love that does not fail when the feeling fades or when the relationships get tough. Love does not expect a pleasant emotion to accompany it at all times. Love does not expect that we will be excited and in awe of it at every turn. Love does not ask to be pointed out and flaunted in every area of our lives.
Rather, love is our foundation. Regardless of how passionate we feel about serving God or other people, our mature, quietly persisting love will withstand the many trials we face.
There is a place for passion and there is a place for quiet adoration in our worship of God. 
God did speak to me, right where I was this afternoon. What was different is  I was loving every moment I sang these song to Him vs. how good  the songs made me feel. 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment